Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cranberry Pepper Jelly....My Secret Ingredient!

I have been a long time lover of Pepper Jelly and tried many recipes over the years.  I have adapted this version from a handful of recipes.  It's as good as the first time I had it in Maine many years ago.  I use it as an appetizer served over cream cheese with multigrain or Ritz crackers.  I step up store bought  BBQ sauce by adding a cup. Preferrably-Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ - In my opinion this is very close to my own homemade BBQ sauce recipe. One day soon, I'll post that too!  It is also good served on the side of grilled pork tenderloin.    So take some time and make this... You won't be disappointed and all your friends will call you "Martha". It's easy and can be stored in the fridge for a long time.  Easy to serve when unexpected company shows up too! 

  
Mel's Cranberry Pepper Jelly

Ingredients:
8 Slices pickled jalapeno - chopped
2 t. red flake peppers
7 C sugar
3/4 C cider vinegar
1 red pepper - chopped
1 pkg fresh cranberries -whole
1/2 C water or cranberry juice
1/2 C orange juice
10oz pkg liquid pectin

Combine all ingredients except pectin in large saucepan.  Bring to a boil  and simmer for 10 minutes.   Turn heat high to boil and add pectin. Boil for 1 minute.  Immediately ladle into jelly jars leaving 1/4" head space. Process for 5 minutes or cool and place in fridge for months.  (Probably won't last that long)
This is my own creation after many trial and errors, it is my favorite.  Serve over cream cheese with crackers or on bagels.  Add a cup to Sweet Baby Rays's BBQ sauce for an out of this world BBQ sauce for chicken or pork!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

BKG