Just picked the last of the eggplants and peppers this weekend....had a fun little party to go to and decided to try this out...It really turned out awesome...Now I'm going to can a full batch so I'll have it through the winter. Just serve on a heavy crusty bread...or with fish & meats. It's delicious and worth the trouble!
- 2kg eggplants
- 2.5kg red pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 med minced onion
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1kg tomatoes, tomatoes, finely chopped or pureed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small chilli (optional) (jalepeno)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180 d C/350 d F. Wash and dry eggplants and capsicums thoroughly. Cook capsicums in the oven or under the grill turning them frequently until there done on all sides. Do not overcook them or they become bitter. Cover with a clean tea towel for 5 minutes to make them easier to peel. Peel and seed them. Slice eggplants & brush with olive oil
- Bake in the oven until they're soft. Peel while warm. Puree the eggplant, pepper and jalepeno in a food processor.
- Heat oil, add garlic, onion and parsley and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook for 30 minutes. Add pureed eggplants and peppers, salt, capsicums and vinegar.
- Be careful not to burn the sauce. Serve with your favourite dishes or store in sterilized jars in a dry place covering the top with a little oil.
- NOTE: A pinch of sugar may be added to the sauce
Avjar Croation Vegetable Relish
...the recipe has been adjusted to my liking...
How to make it