Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Adventure in Soapmaking

I've been dabbling in Melt and Pour soaps throughout December...I've made lip balms, lotion bars and some really tasty looking soaps.  Yesterday I finally took my chances and put together my first home made lye soap.  This is an Oatmeal Soap from a recipe I found at Millers Soap website.  If interested, they have a great library of tutorials and recipes to get you started.  I just happened to have all the ingredients around....except for the Lye found at Ellery Nau True Value Hardware in the plumbing section.  All in all it went a lot smoother than I thought.  I did forget an ingredient, but now to research if it will even be usable as the ph needs to balance and lacking a few ounces of oil makes a big difference.  Anyways, I'll be creating lots of new soaps in the future and with that I'll need soap dishes.  I've been putting together ideas for some fun dishes and am getting started in my studio to create.  I have also joined the the Dish Forum...They have an amazing membership full of beginners to seasoned soapers.  This has been tremendous help in getting started in soap making.  The detailed info throughout the site is terrific and the members very warm and inviting! So I hope you'll join me in my adventure in bubbly soap....so far...super fun! 




2 comments:

KristiBowmanDesign said...

That looks great Melinda!! There was a time when I made all that stuff, only for myself. I made my own rosewater from rose petals, made rosewater glycerine from it, did all kids of that stuff. It's fun huh!!

Melinda Orr - BANDANA GIRL said...

It is so fun! Endless possibilities...just like clay!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

BKG